Thursday, May 22, 2008

Summer cocktails...Mmmmm

I love having people over for BBQ, even though everytime I get all stressed out and swear I won't have a BBQ again! The next week, I do it again. Entertaining and I have a love - hate relationship, one day I am all gaga over the whole plan and then the day before I am freaking out and just want to cancel...Ha ha ha... :) yes, I know I am weird... But in the end, my love for having my friends and family over always wins and everything seems to flow in the right direction... Especially the Sangria...Mmm...






Let me tell you about my favorite summer or winter or for that matter any day drink ;).



Sangria[san-GREE-uh]


The blood-red color of this beverage inspired its name, which is Spanish for "bleeding." Sangria is made with red wine, fruit juices, soda water, fruits, and sometimes liqueurs, and Brandy or Cognac.


I make an awesome Sangria, ok, well according to my taste buds they are absolutely delicious. However though, people (including me) tend to get drunk pretty fast, hmmm maybe more fruit juice less alcohol? what do you think???


Here is my favorite recipe, I always make my Sangria the night before the party so all the juices and the fruits have some time to get to know each other and get all happy and get all jiggity with their chemical reaction to produce the most aromatic Sangria ever!!!! He he he, yes I am very passionate about my drinks.. :D


This Sangria recipe is perfect for big summer parties - always a favorite, you may consider doubling the recipe.







INGREDIENTS:
1 Bottle of red wine (Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Rioja, Zinfandel, Shiraz)
1 Lemon cut into wedges
1 Orange cut into wedges
1 Lime cut into wedges
2 Tbsp sugar
Splash of orange juice
2 Shots of gin
1 Cup of sliced strawberries or raspberries (may use thawed or frozen)
1 Small can of diced pineapples (with juice)
4 Cups ginger ale


PREPARATION:
Pour wine in the pitcher and squeeze the juice wedges from the lemon, orange and lime into the wine. Toss in the fruit wedges (leaving out seeds if possible) and pineapple then add sugar, orange juice and gin.


Chill overnight. Add ginger ale, berries and ice just before serving. If you'd like to serve right away, use chilled red wine and serve over lots of ice. However, remember that the best Sangrias are chilled around 24 hours in the frig. - allowing the flavors to really marinate into each other.

Oh and by the way, the perfect complement to a summer get together and Sangria.....Is of course Tapas!!!!





Come on! Let's BBQ!!!

No comments: